The MBSC scholarships vary in amount and selection is based on academic achievement, extracurricular activities, community involvement, and essays. A scholarship is also available to a military dependent seeking a degree in one of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields.
1. Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility criteria and be able to verify with documentation:
· Current MBSC member.
· Immediate family member of any MBSC member. (Immediate family member is defined as "spouse or child of military member").
· Immediate family member of any active duty, retired or deceased military member in the Monterey Bay area, including NSA Monterey, NPS, POM/DLIFLC, FNMOC, etc.
· Dependents of NSA Monterey, NPS, POM, DLFIC, FNMOC, Coast Guard or any Alumni from a Military Post on the Monterey Peninsula- past or current- (including international military students).
2. The applicant must intend to pursue a degree or certification at any accredited post-secondary institution on either a full-time or a part- time basis. This includes, but is not limited to: associates, undergraduate, graduate or professional degrees; trades certifications; or continuing professional accreditation. The Board of Directors has final discretion on this issue.
3. Scholarship recipients have until 31 December of that year to provide proof of enrollment in college, on official school letterhead, and a point of contact in the Financial Aid office before the scholarship check is issued to the institution.
4. If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate. If no alternate has been chosen monies will return to the scholarship fund.
5. Applicants will be judged based on merit, academic promise, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, references, and an essay. The application form provided by MBSC must be used by all applicants.
6. Applications received after the specified deadline will not be considered.
Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and national origin, rank of sponsor, sex, age, or financial need.
Instructions For Submitting the Scholarship Application
To be considered for an MBSC Scholarship award, all application packages must include the following components and comply with the stated instructions. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
MBSC Scholarship 2020
c/o Scholarship Committee
PO Box 8306
Monterey CA 93943
Scholarship Selection Criteria and Awards
The following criteria will be used in judging application packages and selecting recipients for the 2020 MBSC Scholarship Awards:
After anonymous judging has taken place, scholarship recipients and non-recipients will be will be notified via e-mail. Scholarship recipients will be required to provide proof of military dependent status.
Scholarship recipients have until September 30, 2020 to provide proof of enrollment and point of contact in the financial aid office before the scholarship monies are issued to the institution. If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate. Monies will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s designated institution of higher learning to apply toward tuition, room and board, books, and other fees.
If you have any questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org.