The MBSC scholarships vary in amount. Selection is based on academic achievement, extracurricular activities, community involvement, work experience (including work inside the home) and essays. A scholarship is also available to a military dependent seeking a degree in one of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) fields.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE 2021 MBSC SCHOLARSHIPS IS NOW OPEN. PLEASE READ THE BELOW INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ELECTRONIC APPLICATIONS ARE DUE NO LATER THAN APRIL 23, 2021.
Click on this link to download the application form: 2021 MBSC Scholarship Application FINAL.pdf
1. Applicants must meet one of the following eligibility criteria and be able to verify with documentation:
· Current MBSC member.
· Immediate family member of any MBSC member: (Immediate family member is defined as "spouse or child of military member").
· Immediate family member of any active duty, retired or deceased military member in the Monterey Bay area, including NSA Monterey, NPS, POM/DLIFLC, FNMOC, etc.
· Dependents of NSA Monterey, NPS, POM, DLFIC, FNMOC, Coast Guard or any alumni from a military post on the Monterey Peninsula past or current- (including international military students).
2. The applicant must intend to pursue a degree or certification at any accredited post-secondary institution on either a full-time or a part- time basis. This includes, but is not limited to: associates, undergraduate, graduate or professional degrees; trades certifications; or continuing professional accreditation. The Board of Directors has final discretion on this issue.
3. Scholarship recipients have until 30 December of that year to provide proof of enrollment, on official school letterhead, and a point of contact in the Financial Aid office, before the scholarship check is issued to the institution.
4. If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate. If no alternate has been chosen, monies will return to the scholarship fund.
5. Applicants will be judged based on merit, academic promise, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, work experience (including work inside the home), references, and an essay. Applicants must use the application form provided by MBSC.
6. Applications received after the specified deadline will not be considered.
Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and national origin, rank of sponsor, sex, age, or financial need.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
Instructions For Submitting the Scholarship Application
To be considered for an MBSC Scholarship award, all application packages must include the following components and comply with the stated instructions. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Scholarship Selection Criteria and Awards
The following criteria will be used in judging application packages and selecting recipients for the 2021 MBSC Scholarship Awards:
After anonymous judging has taken place, scholarship recipients and non-recipients will be will be notified via e-mail. Scholarship recipients will be required to provide proof of military dependent status.
Scholarship recipients have until December 30, 2021 to provide proof of enrollment and point of contact in the financial aid office before the scholarship monies are issued to the institution. If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate. Monies will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s designated institution of higher learning to apply toward tuition, room and board, books, and other fees.
If you have any questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org.