Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
Scholarship applicants must meet all eight of the following eligibility criteria to be considered for an award:
- Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Any MBOSC member.
- Immediate family member of any MBOSC member. (Immediate family member is defined as "spouse or child of military member").
- Immediate family member of any active duty, retired or deceased military member in the Monterey Bay area, including NSA Monterey, NPS, POM/DLIFLC, FNMOC, etc.
- Family members of NPS alumni- past or current- (including international military students).
- The applicant must be able to verify the above status with documentation.
- The applicant must intend to pursue an undergraduate or graduate degree on either a full-time or a part- time basis.
- Scholarship recipients have until December of that year to provide proof of enrollment in college and a point of contact in the Financial Aid office before the scholarship check is issued to the institution.
- If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate.
- Applicants will be judged based on merit, academic promise, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, references, and an essay. All applicants must use the application form provided by MBOSC.
- Applications received after the specified deadline will not be considered.
Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, and national origin, rank of sponsor, sex, age, or financial need.
- In order to be considered for an award, your completed application package must fulfill all of the following scholarship requirements: Applicants must meet all of the scholarship eligibility criteria.
- Applicant must submit a completed application package. Application packages must include ALL of following:
- A completed MSOSC Scholarship 2019 application.
- A sealed official copy of the applicant’s most recent high school or college/university transcript. Only originals or certified copies are acceptable. If no transcripts are available, please complete personal statement of academic history.
- A completed Student Academic Data Sheet, found on the last page of this document, signed and dated by your high school Guidance Counselor
- If an applicant is attending a non-credited school the applicant must provide a GED score.
- Two letters of recommendation from persons outside your family. Examples of acceptable sources for letters of recommendation include school faculty members, work supervisors, members of volunteer organizations, members of clergy, or members of the community who can attest to your character. Both letters of recommendation must be confidential, and be placed in sealed envelopes and signed across the seal by the writer of the letter.
- Applicants must submit the application package to the MBOSC Scholarship 2019 Committee by mail postmarked by April 9, 2019 to be for considered for an award.
- If selected for an award, applicants must provide proof of military dependent status before scholarship monies will be issued to their institution.
Instructions For Submitting the Scholarship Application
To be considered for an MBOSC Scholarship award, all application packages must include the following components and comply with the stated instructions. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
- The application must be typed or hand-written in black ink and held together with a clip, NOT stapled. Essays must be typed. Applications are available electronically from the MBOSC Scholarship website www.montereybayosc.com
- All application packages must be submitted as hardcopies. Electronic versions will NOT be accepted.
- Sign and date MBOSC Scholarship 2019 application, thereby acknowledging all statements to be true and factual, that all work contained is your own, and that you are fully aware of all the rules and requirements of the application.
- Include your transcripts or your personal statement of academic history.
- Complete the essay section of the application (located in Section 5 of the MBOSC Scholarship Application).
- Include two (2) letters of recommendation, confidential, and sealed. Both letters of recommendation must be written and placed in sealed envelopes and signed across the seal by the writer of the letter.
- All application packages must be mailed to the address provided and submitted as a hardcopy. Hand-delivered applications will NOT be accepted. Applications should not be folded and must be postmarked by April 9, 2019 Mail your completed application package to:
MBOSC Scholarship 2019
c/o Scholarship Committee
PO Box 8306
Monterey CA 93943
Scholarship Selection Criteria and Awards
The following criteria will be used in judging application packages and selecting recipients for the 2019 MBOSC Scholarship Awards:
- Academic achievement including transcripts, test scores, etc.
- School sponsored extra-curricular activities
- Community involvement
- Any additional achievements and/or recognitions
- Military influence statement
- Sealed letters of reference
After anonymous judging has taken place, scholarship recipients and non-recipients will be will be notified via mail. Scholarship recipients will be required to provide proof of military dependent status.
Scholarship recipients have until December 31, 2019 to provide proof of enrollment and point of contact in the financial aid office before the scholarship monies are issued to the institution. If a recipient accepts appointment to a service academy, the scholarship will automatically be transferred to a qualified first alternate. Monies will be disbursed directly to the recipient’s designated institution of higher learning to apply toward tuition, room and board, books, and other fees.
If you have any questions about the application process or eligibility criteria, please contact the scholarship chairperson at firstname.lastname@example.org.